Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Favorite Songs-of-the-Moment

Here you go, my top 6 songs that are on the repeat button of my CD changer. Laugh away at my musical ignorance. Click here to read more (if you dare!!!).



6). "Bizarre love Triangle" by New Order
There are some songs and some bands that I don’t readily admit to enjoying. If you don’t know why, then I can’t tell you. However, this song is so darn catchy, screw it. I like it. There you go. Happy now??
In any case, this song has been on my top favorites for over twenty years, ever since my older sister used to dance to it in the mid-80s. It’s 2010 and now I’m dancing to it. Will the madness ever end? We’ll just have to get on our knees and pray it does.

5) "Gold" by Spandeu Ballet
My first encounter with Spandeu Ballet came sometime in 1991 with the release of PM Dawn’s “Set a Drift” song that sampled the Spandeu’s song, “True”. At the time, I was unaware of this, until HS, when a friend put me straight. She was into all things retro, when it was un-cool to be retro. HS sucked!

I always enjoyed “True” but “Gold” just seemed like an after-thought.  However,  it was played on a TV show several weeks ago, and it caught my ear again. I searched for it in my Cassette collection. Sure enough, I had it and popped it into my tape deck. It’s actually a cool as rain song. Singer Tony Hadley’s voice is “gold” and just so darn neat. I even imitate him in my shower now.

4) "Shout": Tears for fears
I’ve always enjoyed Tears for Fears even though they are a whiny pop band from England.  Oddly enough, many of the bands on this crappy list of my favorites-at-the-moment, are European, mainly British. What does that say about me? What does that say about the state of America?  Where exactly are we headed in this uncertain future? Who killed Jimmy Hoffa?

Ok, sorry, back to the song. Got sidetracked

I never really liked this song until last month. Now it’s on my Zune, on constant repeat button. Something about the song just captures my attention. Some say it’s a protest song, including its writer, Roland Orzabel, but whatever. Maybe it is; to me it’s just another silly pop song that I like to quote.

“In violent times, you shouldn’t have to sell your soul.  In black and white, they really, really ought to know.”

Oddly, this song reached number #1 in the states back in 85’, but it only reached to the #16 spot in the French charts, at the time. There you go: Another reason to hate the stupid French!


Some time ago, I fell in total awe of 1980’s new wave hits and I’m not too sure why that is. This song by The Fixx is a great example of the plain silliness but often catchy beat of these songs. Moreover, its featured in my favorite “80s movie”, House of the Devil. Awesome song that I listen to when I shave. Aren’t you glad you came in here to read my list of favorite at-the moment-songs?

If ever I needed a song to come into my life and shake me, kick me, and smack me around, then “Dancing with Tears in my eyes” is the cure to my terrible song disease. I had never heard this song before, until my messenger buddy *Kris pointed me in the right direction.

At a first listen, the song seemed Kraft cheesy, but it slowly grew on me, like a pimple on a 15 year old Anthony Michael Hall. 

Now I neeeed it, need to play it on my stereo Memorex-loud.  I need it like my cup of morning coffee.  Its synth-heavy beat and rainbow brite lyrics are for some reason, what I crave at this odd moment in my sad life. I’m not too sure why I enjoy this song so much right now.  Ultravox, a British new wave band, had several other hits, mostly in Europe, but nothing as catchy as this. 

I’m not too sure what the song is about. I read somewhere, in an 80s forum, the song was about a nuclear meltdown and impending doom, certain death, end of the world, 2012 at-the-door-type thing. MMM, maybe that’s why I enjoy it. I tend to have a personal meltdown every three days.

1) "I’m still standing" by Elton John
Honestly! Elton John! Elton freaking John is my favorite song of the moment. 

Yes, yes it is. I hang my head in shame. 

Again, blame my MSN friend *Kris for this musical travesty. 

I’ve never been an Elton John fan. I really only knew or had heard about two songs from him, “Rocket Man” and “Don’t let the Sun Go down on Me” (please don’t mention ‘candles in the wind’). I’m sure he has an extensive discography of neato songs, but I’m sure I’m a musical idiot, too. 

Go ahead, bang me over the head with a zarten

Yes, it is my song of the moment: My favorite song that I play Memorex-loud in my cramped living room, jumping around with my toy keyboard.  For some reasons the silly lyrics reasonate.

“Don't you know I'm still standing better than I ever did
Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid
I'm still standing after all this time
Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind”

There’s no need to over analyze me, my life, or this dumb song. It’s 2011 and I’m still standing. Yeay for me!

2 comments:

Alex said...

Musical tastes vary. But . . . that is one eclectic list you have there, that's for sure.

KeyRose said...

I'm not too familiar with the Ultravox song but all the others were in pretty heavy rotation on MTV in the early 80s.

Initially I didn't really take to "Shout" because of it's forceful lyric intro. The song didn't quite fit in with the tamer "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" and "Head Over Heels" but the more I kept hearing it, the more I learned to appreciate it.

The band makes great use of synths and the guitar solo at the end is melodic without being overbearing. Genesis and U2 were doing this as well.

"I'm Still Standing" was one of those songs/videos that you just couldn't avoid. It was catchy and the video just had all this choreography that hooked you right in. I'm a good fan of Elton John (did not see him when he played in Laredo) but I can't play his stuff all the time 'cause it results in my wife's ears ringing.
Sidenote: I recently found out that one of the judges on the show "Dancing with the Stars" was one of the lead dancers in the 'Standing' video.

Whatever.

BorderTown Laredo

It has been over 10 years since the show aired, and its high time it got a bit of coverage on this old blog. But first I have to watch it. N...