Sunday, January 3, 2010

CarrotHead: The Making of (part 1)

"What the Hell! How difficult can it be?" I said to myself at the beginning of this project.

Making a movie sure sounded fun, and when I started this venture I had lots of ideas and lofty goals for myself. I wrote the script on a Saturday morning, after having breakfast (chilaquiles, if you must now). It's based on a recurring nightmare that I had as kid. The plot is simple enough. A giant, evil rabid rabbit kills kids lost in the woods with his sharp carrot stick. It's shot POV style as a mockumentary, mostly on a handheld digital video camera with shaky camera work and intentionally awful dialogue. However, it hasn't been as easy as I thought it would be. Even making an amateur, over the top, outrageously bad D-horror film, requires vision. And, I seem to have lost it.

I have re-written the script four times. Getting the equipment was the easy part. Actors forget their lines. Rain nixes our filming plans. Real jobs get in the way. People go on vacation. Actresses expect to get paid. In short, making an amateur horror films takes hard work. Production on my short film seems to have been pushed back several months, but expect CarrotHead to finally get its limited release y Spring (March) 2010. After months of delays, re-writes, strikes, and other general calamities, CarrotHead seems to finally be heading in the right direction. Horror movie fans from all over the state have been patiently awaiting the release of this film, and while I'm sure they will be sadly disappointed, their groans will not be in vain.

No comments:

BorderTown Laredo

It has been over 10 years since the show aired, and its high time it got a bit of coverage on this old blog. But first I have to watch it. N...