Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Hal Holbrook in Laredo

As soon as I heard Hal Holbrook was coming to Laredo, I jumped in glee at the possibility of meeting one of my favorite actors and an icon of both cinema and stage.



For those of you who might be unaware, Hal Holbrook will once again reprise his role as Mark Twain at the TAMIU Fine Arts Hall as part of the Sanchez Lecture series. No doubt, Mr. Holbrook is known for his role as Mark Twain as well as a long list of credits in countless other films, but I could hardly care less about any of those.

To me, Hal Holbrook is that old guy that appears in one of my favorite awful slasher films from the 1980s', "Girls Nite Out" (originally titled "The Scaremaker").

Girls Nite out is not just a horrible movie, it's a terrible slasher film with a confusing plot, ineffective acting and quite possibly some of the dullest kills ever imagined. One almost has to ask: What the hell is Hall Holbrook doing in a movie like this?

And that is just what I plan on asking him, if I get the chance to go. That is a big IF. How can I pass up the chance to meet a horror/slasher legend (Creepshow, The Fog)?



So, just in case, I plan on taking my VHS copy of Girls Nite Out in the hope of getting it signed by Hal. Well, still not convinced in the awesome-badness of this film, check out Final Girl's review here.


No comments:

BorderTown Laredo

It has been over 10 years since the show aired, and its high time it got a bit of coverage on this old blog. But first I have to watch it. N...