Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Store Closing and the bad economy




Laredo is also feeling the pains of the recession and the bad economy that has gripped the country. Mervyns at the mall is closing down, apparently they have declared bankcruptcy and we shall see if another store opens up once Mervyns has moved out.

On a similar note, I came across a very useful, informative and fun site dealing with malls, closings and wasted space. Its deadmalls.com and I really recommend you spin by the site and check it out.

But back to the topic at hand, driving down by the river's edge over by LCC, I spotted an abandoned neighborhood grocery store and it reminded me of when I was a kid. I would run down to the corner and buy sodas, snacks and more from small stores like this one here in the picture. Too bad there are less and less authentic neighborhood 'tienditas' everyday. I miss that side of Laredo.

2 comments:

El Guapo said...

Don't be so nostalgic Goyito. I grew up with several local "Tienditas" in El Chacon. I had to scrape off the ants from the Milky Way bar before I ate it.

KeyRose said...

Love the neighborhood tiendita.

Growing up in El Puente Blanco, we had Uvaldo's (Blair and San Eduardo), and Chito's (Saunders and San Eduardo). And walking home from Tomas Sanchez Elem. we had a choice between Pena's (Ash) and some other tiendita around the corner.

Now in the Chacon, I have a tiendita (the name escapes me) that satisfies a snack attack every now and then. It's on Mendiola Ave. and Chacon.

Eddie Macon's Run in HiDef

 No doubt 1983 must have been an exciting time for movies in Laredo! Imagine hearing that big time TV star John Schneider, Bo Duke himself, ...