Monday, January 16, 2012

On this particular Monday

   It was a bit before the noon hour when I finally made my way across town. The usual traffic congestion on McPherson was not a nuisance as on other days.

On this particular Monday, I had been invited by an old friend to Mass and then our for some lunch. Since my office was closed in observance of the holiday and also because I very much wanted to see her, I accepted the invitation.

"Church on a weekday?" I asked her somewhat perplexed by her phone invitation. "Do they even have mass on Mondays?" I continued in vain, hoping she would alter the invite to a different place.

It had been over ten years since I last saw *****, and I had lost all contact with her up until two weeks ago when a mutual friend of ours gave her my number. Days later, she sent me a text.

The last time we had seen each other, was a tough day for me. We had a big fight over something stupid and it ended everything we had.

Earlier in the day, I had promised to pick her up from her  house, so as I pulled into Santa Rita Subdivision, I began to remember all the silly things we had done in 2002. Memories began to flood inside of me and all I could hear was La Firma singing "Ojala", repeatedly thundering inside my ears, as if it was some medieval torture device.

As she opened the door to let me in, I recalled exactly why I was so much fixated by her beauty. Maybe that cliche is true, life does come around in a full circle.

She smiled at me and said my name, a name I had not heard in years. And instantly, all was forgiven.

  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OJALA.... =P

Eddie Macon's Run in HiDef

 No doubt 1983 must have been an exciting time for movies in Laredo! Imagine hearing that big time TV star John Schneider, Bo Duke himself, ...